Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"Summer Dahlias"


I love Dahlias, and I love the color orange, so when I saw these beauties in a neighbor’s yard, I just had to paint them! With their multitude of petals, Dahlias are very complex and time consuming flowers to paint. In order to capture the light on the petals in sunlight as well as the deep, rich colors of the petals in shadow, I had to paint each petal at least three to six times, glazing to get just the right color and value on each one. This award winning painting has always been one of my favorites, and I have kept it in my private collection until now.

Title: "Summer Dahlias"

Medium: Watercolor on 140 lb. archival paper.

Image Size 18 x 24"

Framed Size 27 x 33”

Framing/Matting: This painting is triple-matted, under glass, in a beautiful wooden frame that has accents of gold and orange to complement those colors in the painting.

Note: “Summer Dahlias” received the Second Place Award in American Artist’s 1999 national floral competition. It also received the People’s Choice Award at the Art Methods and Materials Show in Pasadena, CA, October, 1999.

Click Here for Detailed Images and To Purchase

1 comment:

Jala Pfaff said...

Talented in oil and watercolor both...that's very impressive! Congrats on the awards on this. Very well deserved.